7 Ways to Wear A Maxi Dress

06:53:00

One Maxi Dress, 7 Ways to Wear it!

Story time! The maxi dress featured here has been unworn in my cupboard for over six months. You're probably wondering why (or not, that's perfectly awrite too but I'm gonna tell you anyway). I saw this maxi dress on a Vajor Sunday weekly sale (those are awesome btw, you might want to keep any eye out for them) and I was in love. This print spoke to my bohemian soul and I wanted it but couldn't afford to buy it. Turns out someone I know was listening to my public rant on how I loved it and bought it for me.



Cut to the delivery and I was surprised but excited! Now turns out, my sister was home the day I tried it on and she told me it was way too big for me. She said that it was too big for me (eventhough it was an XS) and looked like something for pregnant women. Bottom line, it just doesn't look good. I'd liked to say it didn't affect me but it did. It essentially colored my opinion at a certain level and it meant the dress stayed in my closet, with tags on for a long time.



I don't know why I picked it up but two months ago, I did. I wore it to a lunch date with my family and guess what, two absolute strangers complimented my dress. Safe to say I was shocked just a little bit but also shook. (like those beauty youtubers say) The lesson is this, never let the world decide your choices in fashion or otherwise. You can hear them and consider them, but listen to what your heart says. Well, turns how I've not only managed to prove my sister wrong but this is possibly one of the most versatile dresses I've ever worn!

1. Belt it Out


Hands down, my favourite way of making anything look good. A belt is such a versatile part of your wardrobe it makes event the most shabbiest things look good. All you need to do with clothes that are slightly too big for you is to add a belt. The trick is to add it at the smallest part of your waist to give an illusion of that perfect figure. Bonus, this look hides ALL the food babies you might create and still makes you look fabulous!

Outfit Details: 
Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor
Belt: Rs. 799, Label Life
Heels: Rs. 1200, Koovs
Bag: Rs. 599, Part of a Sugarbox

2. Layer it Up



This second look is one you've seen before. It featured in my post about 10 looks for Valentine's day (check it out guys, it's a good post too!) and I've already worn this atleast twice. Repeating looks? Why of course I do that! Anybody who understands the value of money repeats their looks! Be proud of being an outfit repeater! Anyway, I just added an oversized jumper and then tucked it in at the front. No fuss, practical winter outfit. You can add some warm leggings below the dress and boots if you're worried about feeling cold down under!

Outfit Details: 
Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor
Pink Oversized Jumper: Rs. 899, Glamorous UK from Koovs
Necklace: Rs. 200, Streetstore in Goa
Heels: Rs. 1200, Koovs

3. Jacket It



So this is something can recreate with whatever jacket you own. A leather jacket, a coat, a bomber, anything really. I added a denim shirt because personally, those are more my style but a jacket works just as well. The idea is to add something that you already own as a layer to ensure you're warm but chic. Good options to invest in would be a cropped jacket or a normal denim jacket if you ask me.

Outfit Details: 
Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor
Denim Shirt: Rs. 699, Warehouse UK from Tata Cliq
Belt: Rs. 799, Label Life
Heels: Rs. 1200, Koovs

4. Shirt Up


Yet another look you can easily create with things you probably already own. I'm using the same denim shirt as the previous look but you can use any shirt you have. (I find a denim shirt to be one of those things you can use in many many ways). All I did is button it all the way up and knotted it instead of the belt. Since the dress is slightly big for me, it's important to create curves to keep from looking too boxy (Girl, even if you don't think you have curves, you do! You just need to find what works for you!).

Outfit Details: 
Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor


Denim Shirt: Rs. 699, Warehouse UK from Tata Cliq
Heels: Rs. 1200, Koovs

5. Skirt up Top



Super simple I know. But you can always add a little something as a layer to a maxi dress. This ruffle maxi skirt with a similar shade of pink to the print on the dress is super fun in my opinion. Honestly, you just need to make sure it's longer or atleast the same length as the dress. An a-line skirt usually works best if you want to do some layering

Outfit Details: 




Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor
Ruffled Skirt: Rs. 499, Koovs
Heels: Rs. 1200, Koovs

6. Drape it Right


Fun fact, you can actually turn a maxi dress into a midi dress. There's a video on my Instagram that shows you how I do this drape but let me write it down for you anyway. You tuck the front and the back of the maxi dress into the belt (the same one from the first look, yes). The sides now have this interesting drape. You can even retuck it if you think it's too long and make sure the belt isn't peeking from the sides. Add a belt if you like and you're done. The side draping makes the dress look like a fancy designer piece in my book. But you can tell me your thoughts in the comments if you like.

Outfit Details: 




Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor
Belt: Rs. 799, Label Life
Heels: Rs. 1200, Koovs
Black Belt: Rs. 699, H&M (buy here)

7. And.. Tuck it again!



Yet another drape, but this one is more polished than the first one. The first one is something like a beach shack look while this one is more fancy night out. In this case, instead of tucking the front and the back, you fold the sides before the tuck. You can see it on the video but the result has no draping on the sides and creates a more a-line silhouette. It's simple and with a pair of heels and some bold red lip, you'll be ready for that evening party without having to pack an extra fancy outfit!

Outfit Details: 




Floral Maxi Dress: Rs. 990, Vajor
Belt: Rs. 799, Label Life
Heels: Rs. 1200, Zara
Clutch: Rs. 200, Streetstore in Bandra

I hope you enjoyed these looks. Maxi dresses are absolutely perfect for holidays but sometimes it's a little hard to style them in more than one way and I hear you. That's the reason why this guide has fewer additional pieces as I wanted to create something that can be portable but functional. The idea is to give you some inspiration for creating looks with minimal pieces.

Don't forget to see the video on my Instagram where I share how I created all these looks. It's less than a minute but I hope you get some value from it. If you do please share it with your friends and comment with your favourite looks.

You Might Also Like

0 comments