Blogger Collaboration: How to wear Indo-Western (with Abha Aka PunkPieBlog)

09:38:00

Indo-western is something I've rarely done on the blog. While a lot of my outfits will have little Indian touches, somehow I feel that these outfits are never good enough for the blog. Well, turns out I was to get a chance to shoot for this trend very soon, courtesy of "My first ever blogger collaboration"! What?! 

The awesome Abha Tiwari from PunkPie Blog got in touch with me for a very special collaboration where we would showcase our take on the Indo-western trend. Of course I was excited and said yes! Now I usually don't wear a lot of Indian on a daily basis and when I do, its usually for some occasion of the Great Big Indian Weddings that I have to attend. So as soon as I got the theme, I knew I wanted to do a look that was wedding appropriate Indo-western. Abha did a more casual everyday take on it and I love how both our looks show two end of the spectrum. 












I'm Wearing: 
White Formal Shirt: Allen Solly
Long Maxi Skirt: Part of a vintage traditional Lehenga
Spiked Necklace, Chainlink necklace (worn as headband) and Earrings: Linking Road, Bandra
Heels: Tresmode
Satchel Bag: Colaba Causeway

Photo Credits: Mario Durando 

Abha's Wearing:
Ghaghra/Skirt - Vintage shops
Tshirt knotted as crop top - Lifestyle 
Jhumkas - Shopper's Stop 
Glasses - LafemmeEnVogue 

I love how Abha's style shows that wearing Indian pieces for an everyday look doesn't mean you have to look frumpy. Her ghaghra with crop top makes for a great look that's boho and trendy. There are some great deals on such skirts with Indian prints that you can find online at bargain prices. Crop tops are totally on trend. Heck, if all this is too much, you could just pair jhumkas with a tshirt for a small yet powerful Indian touch.

My look on the other hand, I wanted to show that pulling off Indo-western doesn't have to be limited to everyday wear. I paired a formal white button down shirt with a vintage lehenga bottom and added a satchel bag. While I love those embroidered, beaded clothes at weddings, sometimes, you just can't be bothered with wearing heavy outfits. This is my way of skipping a choli and dupatta that would go with a regular lehenga. I added the oversized glasses and a satchel bag to give it a little more western touch. I think this is an outfit which is comfortable and I'd be dancing all night at the sangeet at someone's wedding, without being bothered by heavy beads and chunky accessories that go with such outfits. 

Still confused about how to infuse this trend into your wardrobe? Abha and I came up with a few tips for you guys! 

Tips for Wearing Indo-Western
  • Think outside the box. Don't look at a traditional Indian outfit as a set of things to be worn together. Break it up, mix and match to keep things interesting.
  • Pair a beaded or embroidered vest with jeans for a casual and comfortable look.
  • A simple dress with Indian accessories, this is one of the easiest ways to try the trend. 
  • Want to wear a saree but don't have a blouse? Wear a printed croptop instead of the blouse and don't forget to add some geeky glasses to add a bit of quirk!
  • Wear a patiala instead of your favorite palazzo pants to add an interesting twist.
  • Want to wear a fully wester silhouette? Why not bring in a bit of India by getting western outfits stitched in Indian fabrics? (Think khadi, cotton, banarasi silk).  
  • Abha says: Don't throw away all your traditional earrings, they can be a big companion for the indo western look. Style it up with some big glasses and you are good to go!
So that's it folks! What do you think about this trend? Do you like our looks? Tell me in the comments below!

 PS: Check out Abha's blog (Click here!)

You Might Also Like

3 comments