6 Ways To Wear A Kimono Jacket

08:30:00

2020 has felt like the longest and shortest year in the time that I have existed on this earth. Some days I find myself feeling like I'm ready to take on the world but I have just as many days when I barely manage to get out of bed to face the world and no matter how much coffee or latte is ingested, there isn't really any good way of getting through the day. 

So today's post features what I like to wear on days when I don't want to really get out of my comfy house clothes. This kimono style robe/jacket drew me in with it's print and I just thought it would be perfect for feeling comfy and cozy but still having a reason to smile on days that seem endless. However, if you know me, you know I want to be able to make my existing pieces go the extra mile and honestly, there's just no way I'm going to keep this print confined to comfort. So I'm sharing 6 ways to wear a kimono jacket when you wanna go out on the town!

 Look 1 | As Dress

kimono robe, work from home, outfit restyle, rewear outfits, styling over buying, floral print, kimono, robe
Kimono Robe | Rs. 1850, Ekdori (buy here)
Belt | Rs. 990, Zara Sale
Heels | Rs. 2990 (about 4 years old) Zara
Earrings | Rs. 1049, Pipa and Bella (buy here)
Sling Bag | Rs. 1200, The Label Life

This look is quite simple. All it takes is a statement belt, a pair of dangly earrings and some lovely heels. The jacket has a great print on it's own and it honestly looks like a great dress. Not to mention that the wrap style also gives some major opportunities to flaunt some tanned legs (well okay, realistically there's been no tan this year but you get the idea!). I especially love that I still have access to the super large pockets to hide that extra chocolate bar but still fit in at a fancy dinner party!

 Look 2 | White Dress + Jacket

white maxi dress, kimono robe, outerwear, styling over buying, rewear style, how to wear a kimono, how to wear maxi dress
Kimono Robe | Rs. 1850, Ekdori (buy here)
White Maxi Dress | Rs. 1099, Vajor (buy here)
Heels | Rs. 2990 (about 4 years old) Zara
Necklace | Rs. 300, JanpathOnline
Sling Bag | Rs. 1200, The Label Life

Probably my most favourite way to restyle the jacket is to throw it on top of a simple solid coloured dress! This simple white dress has been a summer favourite that has so much potential (check out how I've restyled it on my Instagram here and here) and honestly, adding this kimono jacket just takes it from summer sailing to resort chic in my head! The rest of the look is fairly simple and just acts as a support for the gorgeous jacket with it's print to shine through! Oh and the best part, access to not just 2 but FOUR pockets!

Look 3 | Jacket + Pleated Skirt

pleated skirt, workwear, styling over buying, how to style a kimono, off shoulder top, kimono jacket, rewear style
Kimono Robe | Rs. 1850, Ekdori (buy here)
Heels | Rs. 2990 (about 4 years old) Zara
Necklace | Gifted by my cousin
Pleated Skirt | Rs. 1599, Zara

Venturing into slightly sexy territory in this look, a fun way to style long jackets is to turn them into an off-shoulder look. To make sure everything is secure, I've actually tucked it into a pleated skirt. Honestly, this is what you'd see me wearing if you asked me to leave my room on a holiday and I didn't want to make an effort but still wanted to look like I did. 

Look 4 | Jacket + Top + Denims

kimono robe, baggy jeans, spagetti top, the label life, styling over buying
Kimono Robe | Rs. 1850, Ekdori (buy here)
Heels | Rs. 2990 (about 4 years old) Zara
Jeans | Vintage (borrowed from dad)
Top | Rs. 599, The Label Life
Sling Bag | Rs. 1200, The Label Life
Earrings | Rs. 499, The K Cult 

Now if we're going onto the next day after those fun evenings out, this is probably what you'll see me wearing. A simple spaghetti top, a pair of jeans and the jacket thrown on top. Of course the heels make me look a bit fancier than just a simple pair of jeans and a top. It just elevates the look to a new level. Overall, this is a great way to make a simple jeans and t-shirt look turn into something fancier. 

Look 5 | One Shoulder Dress

one shoulder dress, kimono dress, floral dress, how to style a kimono, date night outfit, styling over buying
Kimono Robe | Rs. 1850, Ekdori (buy here)
Heels | Rs. 2990 (about 4 years old) Zara
Earrings | Rs. 1049, Pipa and Bella (buy here)
Clutch | Rs. 150, Streetseller in Mumbai

So if the first dress look wasn't fun enough for you, I'm turning this into another dress. A one shoulder dress is just so sexy in my opinion that you really don't need anything more than that. The trick to this is to wear it the way you normally would and then taking the sleeve of the shoulder and wrapping it around my neck and pining it at the end. Honestly, this works perfectly for jackets that are slightly oversized and baggy as it leaves room for the fabric to still wrap over without looking too tight. Of course, this is probably easier for you to see in my youtube video so I highly recommend you check it out if you wanna understand how I draped this dress. 

 Look 6 | As Skirt

brunch outfit, kimono wrap skirt, casual style, mumbai streetstyle, floral fashion, rewear, restyle, repeatwear, slow fashion
Kimono Robe | Rs. 1850, Ekdori (buy here)
Heels | Rs. 2990 (about 4 years old) Zara
White Tshirt | Rs. 300, Koovs
Necklace | part of a box by Books and Beyond

For the last look, I wanted to show you something a bit more out there but definitely still very very wearable. This is very very easy to do, all I did is draped the jacket in half and then wrapped it in half so that there's an overlap. Throw on a simple tshirt and a belt to hold it all together and voila you have a skirt! Little fact, I actually look not so great in it because somehow I just was end of the day exhausted but these photos show you exactly how it will look when done right! So if you're here from my youtube then just know, this is how it will look.. aka, a lot better than it did in the video. Either way, again, I think this works best with slightly more oversized pieces but if you have a long jacket or even a button front maxi dress that's a relaxed fit, I'd recommend you trying this out! Asymmetric and absolutely gorgeous! 

And those are my 6 ways of wearing what is primarily my regular home alone piece into something sexier and more outdoor appropriate. I highly believe that things that I wear at home should also function as something that can be worn after we're out of this mad time. That's exactly what I'm trying to share here. I hope this gave you some inspiration to look at your work from home pieces in a new light. If you haven't already, please go check out my Youtube channel that's still very new but I'm slowly growing it out and I'd love your support! If not, make sure to tell me in my comments what you've been wearing the most during work from home! Thank you for reading and I shall be back soon with a new post! 

You Might Also Like

2 comments