4 Ways to Wear a Saree to Show the Pallu

22:00:00

Hello my lovely readers, it's been a very long time hasn't it? I will admit that over the last few months, I lost the ability to write something that I was happy with. There was also a whole case of people telling me the written word was dead and that I should create videos for all platforms out there (Tik Tok, what even are you?!) whihc confused me even more. Well, what goes round comes round, and also, practice makes perfect, well okay, passable anyway. So here's a new post, featuring something I love and hopefully you read till the end instead of clicking off.

A saree with an elaborate pallu is the most common thing I've seen in the world of sarees but somehow, there don't seem to be enough draping styles that show off just how pretty the pallu is. Since I couldn't find any, i decided to create some for myself. The styles below feature some of my personal favourite ways to wear a saree to show off the design. Go on, enjoy!

1. The Modern Seedha Pallu


printed saree draping to show pallu, how to drape a saree, saree draping for silk saree, how to drape a silk saree, new ways to style a saree

First look is fairly simple. You all have probably seen the Gujarati saree drape or the 'seedha' (that means straight) pallu style. The one thing that always annoys me about it is that it makes me lose my waist. This drape here, rectifies that issue. All I've done is make the front pallu longer and slimmer, next I've thrown on a belt to give my waist definition and voila, a fresh fun take on the traditional saree drape.

2. That Pallu Skirt

printed saree draping to show pallu, how to drape a saree, saree draping for silk saree, how to drape a silk saree, new ways to style a saree


This style is heavily inspired by the Chhatisgarh Central Drape in the Border and Fall sari series but I really can't understand why it isn't more famous. Now I know what you're thinking, can you walk easily in this? Well, the trick, my friend, is to keep your legs a little more than hip width apart when you drape it around you. Really, it works because it gives you enough room in the drape to walk around freely. It's simple but striking and honestly, makes it look like you put in a lot more effort than you actually did.

3. Double Front Drape

printed saree draping to show pallu, how to drape a saree, saree draping for silk saree, how to drape a silk saree, new ways to style a saree


This is a rather simple one, it's the Nivi Drape, but with an added twist. All you do is keep the pallu longer than you would in a Nivi drape and then once you've finished the regular drape, you take the pallu and loop it around another time. Now the pallu's design is on show, you still have a waist and the look is probably the easiest in everything that I've shared here. Go ahead, try it!

4. Converted Coorg Drape

printed saree draping to show pallu, how to drape a saree, saree draping for silk saree, how to drape a silk saree, new ways to style a saree


Possibly one of my favourite drapes, this one appeals to my fluidity loving little heart. There's just something so effortless about this style of drape that I can instantly think of summer walks on the beach. Really, this is what I'll be wearing on my next holiday (which will most likely be in 2021). All you do is twist the pallu over your shoulder and knot it. It's easier that it reads here, I highly recommend you go check my Instagram video if this confuses you.

And that's it folks. Those are four favourite ways to show off a saree pallu. There's probably a lot more styles out there and if you have a personal favourite feel free to share it in the comments below. If you would like to see someone show you these drapes instead of reading about them, you can go check my Instagram video where I show you exactly how I achieve these drapes.

If you enjoyed this please share it with your friends. Doesn't really cost you anything but really helps me. Thank you for stopping by! 

You Might Also Like

5 comments