#WorkwearChic : Go from Work to Party in 5 Minutes

08:51:00

We've all been there, we invest in work clothes, then we need party clothes and then suddenly all our clothes are too shiny and we need something for those sunday brunches because just when you found the perfect club dress, brunches are all the rage and those sequins just won't cut it! Oh yes, and now you have a closet full of pretty clothes but There's nothing to wear!

This is exactly why I try and figure out ways to make workwear do double duty so that it seamlessly s goes from work, to party without even changing what you're already wearing! Waaa!!!

A simple piece (and you may have heard me talk about it only about a 100 times) that every girl needs in her wardrobe for any occasion is the pencil skirt. While solid colors work best because they'er super easy to transition with the right pairings, if you're someone who likes prints, I'd say go for one in bright but not neon prints. The trick is finding prints that do not look out of place in the office (meaning best to leave those all over sequins skirts home) but still can look good in the evenings. However, for this look I wanted to give you a simple idea on how to make a black skirt work for pretty much anything.



Grey Tshirt: Rs. 200, Globus (similar one here)
Black Pencil Skirt: Rs. 600, Forever21 (similar ones here and here)
Structure Bag: Rs. 1000, Hong Kong Street Market
Necklace: Rs. 300, Hill Road, Bandra s
Blazer: Rs. 1000, Primark (gift from my sister)

The first look is something I have worn to the office multiple times (as my work colleagues will readily attest to I'm sure). This skirt is a simple piece that I bought around 3 years ago when I just started working a corporate job and while it isn't available, there's quite a few similar ones out there (linking them in the outfit details). The top is a classic street buy that has been worn countless times. I paired it with classic workwear pieces like my trusty black blazer and sensible pumps.




Grey Tshirt: Rs. 200, Globus (similar one here)
Black Pencil Skirt: Rs. 600, Forever21 (similar ones here and here)
Black Heels: Rs. 800, Zara
Corset Belt: Rs. 450, Splash

Total Outfit Cost: Rs. 4350, which is around ₤45


Photo Credits: Shruti Phulgirkar

The second look is literally the first look going to play. For this, I took off the blazer, did a little tuck and roll for the top and switched out my workwear flats for heels. Add a statement belt and darker lipstick and you're ready to take the party scene by storm.

Now I know I promised you a how to take it to brunch in the intro (or atleast implied one) and I always keep my promises. If you're wondering how to take a pencil skirt to brunch, don't worry girl, I've got you covered. Swing by next week to check out the latest. In the meantime, why not go check out my take on other classics? There's a lovely article about layering for Mumbai weather here and in case you've got some workwear woes then you can sign up for the Chiconomical Newsletter and get to talk to me directly! Plus you get style tips delivered straight to your inbox! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments