Last Minute Diwali Outfit Ideas for The Bohemian Girl

08:49:00

Let's face it. If you've been following my style, you know that I've got a gypsy hidden inside just waiting to come out. Thanks to the fact that Indian ethnicwear is the epitome of Boho chic, I never want to miss a chance to dress up for festivals. Last year, around this time, I came up with a post about Diwali outfits for the girl who doesn't like traditional outfits (its got some great last minute ideas girls, do check it out!) and this morning, as I was talking to a friend, I realised I have a few more to share. Choosing to style Diwali outfits for all my fellow gypsy souls out there seemed to be the perfect way to welcome Diwali!

1. The Rioter

Maxi Dress: Rs. 500, AND
Mojaris: Rs. 200, Flea Market
Jacket: Rs. 1000, Spoyl
Earrings: Rs. 500, Banjur
Belt: Rs. 150, Linking Road, Bandra

This look is such a riot of colors, I can't help but feel festive. I paired a maxi dress (but you could do it with your maxi dresses too ladies) with my brilliant bohemian jacket and clinched in the waist with my gold belt. Since I still felt like I wanted some more, I decided to add pompom earrings and a ethnic clutch. I simply pinned up my hair which takes less than a minute to do and voila! This is one outfit you can wear to those diwali parties and stand out like a star!

2. The Regal Moderner

Maxi Dress: Rs. 400, Sugarbox
Jacket: Rs. 350, Big Bazaar
Shoes: Rs. 250, Big Bazaar
Bag: Rs. 500, Koovs
Necklace worn as headpiece, Cuff, Belt: Rs. 100, Linking Road, Bandra

Ever wondered if you could  get more wear out of that button down kurta? Try pairing a kurta with some prints or patterns with a solid maxi dress. Clinch the waist if you're so inclined. Don't like wearing necklaces or earrings? Try wearing the necklace as a headband instead. Ohh, and since the modern woman usually tends to hate them heels, add a pair of comfy laceup shoes instead of normal shoes. Modern, practical, festive but full of class, this is an outfit that will take you from the puja to the party with ease.

3. The Modern Desi

Pink Trousers: Rs. 800, Vero Moda
Crop Top: Rs. 500, Forever21 
Striped Half Saree: Rs. 200, Lokhandwala
Heels: Rs. 1200, Stylflip
Necklace: Rs. 250, Colaba Causeway
Earrings: Rs. 50, Street Stall, Borivali

Sarees with pants are nothing new, but what if you don't own a saree? I suggest if you can't hunt in your mom's closet for something interesting, take a look around the cloth markets to find fabrics in interesting prints. I found this stripey fabric for Rs. 200 (woot!) at a store selling excess fabric and I just used pieces that every girl probably already owns to make the look interesting. Oh, and this look works well with long dupattas too! Win!

4. The Fearless Wanderer

Ikat Print Dress: Rs. 400, Colaba Causeway
Pompom Sandals: Rs. 800, Spoyl
Clutch: Rs. 150, Spoyl
Nose-ring: Gift from sister
Earrings worn on dress: Rs. 500, Banjur
Hand Harness: Rs. 100, Street Stall, Borivali

If you're feeling rather bold, try to wear your kurtis as dresses. This kurti/dress was a street find that I found was actually selling online for around 50 times the street price. Yes, street shopping is brilliant that way! Anyway, for this look, I wore my pompom earring on my dress alongwith my pompom tie up sandals (yet another thrift find). A simple look that still says you're not bound by the traditions of the past. You're the modern girl who can wear her dresses and still recite the Gita with ease!

And that's it folks! 
What are you wearing this Diwali? 

Tell me in the comments or share it with me on Facebook!

In case you're still looking for style inspiration and style hacks I suggest you join the party on The Chiconomical Insider. This free newsletter gives you inside access to all my style hacks and bargain finds! Sign up today!

PS: This post was seled in the 3rd November Links A La Mode!


Links à la Mode, November 3rd
SPONSOR: Amazon's Shopbop, Club Monaco, Enza Costa Sweaters, Splendid Booties, MCM Sunglasses, Fringe, Pajamas, Faux Fur Vests, Wallets, Black Mules, Men's FairEnds

You Might Also Like

0 comments