Sick+ Bedridden = Food recipe

01:57:00



The weather has been playing havoc for the past few days. Add to that the mental pressure I've been under recently, it was quite inevitable that I fall sick. Obviously I don't have the strength to get up and do anything worthwhile so instead, I'm gonna show you how I make one of my favorite dishes, its called a Tawa Pulav. Basically its a rice dish but also a sneaky way to get people to eat their vegetables. This is something that my friend loves to eat, although she hates eating vegetables or anything that's considered remotely healthy (read potatoes, capsicums, brocolli, all green vegetables in general). But since she likes her food spicy, this is a quick and simple recipe for a simple evening meal. (Also, it lets me spend more time with her without depriving her of a home-cooked meal)

Ingredients:

3 medium sized Red onions, finely chopped
2 medium sized  green capsicums, finely chopped (you could also add red and yellow ones for added colour)
4-5 medium sized tomatoes pureed
3 boiled and cubed potatoes
Green peas (I used about a handful)
Any other vegetables you'd like to add, anything goes really, but I usually use the ones above.

1 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 tbsp oil/butter (I usually use olive oil)
2 Bay leaves
A pinch of cinnamon
1 bowl of Rice
Turmeric
Red Chilli Powder/Paprika
Ground coriander seeds
Pav Bhaji Masala (you'll find most of these in the Indian spices section of any good store)
Salt to taste

Cooking Time: About 30 minutes

1. First off, you start with cooking your rice. Add about 4 bowls of water to one bowl of rice. Also add the green peas along with salt and bayleaves and a little bit of butter. This usually takes about the same time as your sauce does.


2. Heat a wok and add oil to it, alongwith the chopped onions and turn the heat to meduim. Let the onions cook for a couple of minutes and then add the capsicums. Saute till they capsicums are soft.


3. Add the tomato puree, alongwith any other vegetables that you wish to add. (note, if your adding vegetables that take quite some time to cook, you can add them with the capsicums). Also add all the spices mentioned above and enough salt to flavor the mixture.



4. Stir this till the tomatoes are cooked. Usually, a good guide to this is when the oil starts separating from the sauce. Add the boiled potatoes at this point and stir for a minute more. (I add them at the end because they've already been boiled and would be smashed if I added them before)

I could actually eat this on its own aswell with a little bread on the side! ;)

5. Add the rice and mix it till all the rice is coated with the sauce. Try and do this without breaking the rice for a nicer visual and the end. I use a kind of a folding action to do this. Also, if your rice is overcooked, it might break more easily.


6. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot. You could serve this with a coleslaw or yogurt. It tastes good with both!

Sorry about the crappy pictures, these weren't taken with the intention of being on the blog, but I decided if I couldn't blog about clothes(thank you throat infection), then I wanna write about my second love, food!

A little side note, while this is a veg recipe (since I'm a vegetarian) you could add meat to it while making the gravy and it should still taste pretty good. I haven't had any firsthand experience though(obviously!) so if you do try this, let me know how it goes. 

Also, as this is my first time writing a recipe of any kind, I'd love to hear about how I did! You can talk to me in the comments, on twitter (@QuirkyEngineerR) or on Instagram (@quirkyengineer). 

You Might Also Like

0 comments